The Argyll Mausoleum was a traditional burial place for the Earls and Dukes of Argyll (Chiefs of the Clan Campbell) from the 14th Century until 1949 and holds a place of pride within the community.
Since 2008 Argyll Mausoleum Limited, a community led partnership has worked together to bring about the restoration and conservation of the Argyll Mausoleum and its associated artefacts. This was in order to develop a sustainable visitor facility and highlight the significance of the heritage.
The Historic Kilmun project was supported in kind and financially by a range of organisations. We provided grant funding and our Communities Team provided vital development support to the project, which eventually attracted substantial development and delivery funding amounting to over £1M to begin the restoration in 2013.
The Argyll Mausoleum opened in Winter 2014 with visitor interpretation and key artefacts now open to the public. Archaeological and graveyard investigations and interpretation continue. Argyll Mausoleum Ltd has leased the building for 30 years from Argyll and Bute Council and continues to work with local community support to raise the necessary funds to achieve the full aims of the project, sustain a visitor facility and engage the community and stakeholders in this exciting initiative.
The project is supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park, Historic Environment Scotland, Argyll & the Islands LEADER, Argyll & Bute Council, Church of Scotland, Argyll Estates, Shanks Argyll and Bute Ltd, via the Landfill Communities fund, together with contribution from local businesses and fundraising and a significant amount of in kind time from communities.