Images of Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park

Planning Enforcement and Development Monitoring

The enforcement and monitoring functions are integral to Planning service in the National Park. 
Our Enforcement Officer investigates possible breaches of planning control, and our Monitoring Officer checks that planning permissions are being complied with.  Enforcement is largely complaint or inquiry driven but Monitoring is directed specifically at those developments that have permission.
Planning permission is needed for most building works or other operations including alterations to buildings and changes in the use of land. Listed Building Consent is needed for any alterations (including internal) that affect the character of a listed building.  Consent to Display an Advertisement is needed for many types of signage. 
If the appropriate permission or consent is not obtained prior to starting work on site then there may be a breach of planning control and in some cases, the unauthorised works may be an offence.
Owners and developers are responsible for complying with the approved plans and planning conditions and must send in notices to inform us when they intend to begin work and when work is completed.

For more information see our advice leaflet A Guide to Planning Enforcement and Monitoring.

Development Monitoring

All planning permissions are monitored to ensure compliance with the approved plans and conditions, particularly in the sensitive environment of the National Park. This section provides important information for applicants who have received planning permission.

Pre-Start Conditions

Applicants should read their Decision Notices carefully as there may be conditions that require approval prior to starting any work on site.  Such 'pre-start' conditions may include the submission of samples, a new access or further details. It is important to fully discharge all conditions because failure to do so may invalidate the planning permission.

Notice of Initiation and Completion of Development

Before any works start on site you should submit a ‘Notice of Initiation of Development’ to us and when building works are complete, a ‘Notice of Completion of Development’. You will receive a copy of these notices with your Decision Notice but if you lose them you can download a blank notice below:

Site Notice - Development in Progress

During construction, all planning applications which fall into the category of national or major, or are defined as ‘bad neighbour’ development, should have a site notice displayed in a prominent location on or near the site. We have prepared example and blank site notices for your use but you are allowed to prepare your own version so long as it contains the same information:

High Hedges Legislation

As of 1 April 2014 legislation called the High Hedges (Scotland) Act 2013 allows householders to apply to their local authority for a high hedge notice where they:

i) believe the enjoyment of their property is being adversely affected by a neighbour’s hedge by reason of it forming a barrier to light; and

ii) have tried to resolve the problem with their neighbour. 

Government guidance on the pre-application requirements and a generic application form can be found at

Any application must be made to the local authority and not to the National Park Authority, including for high hedges lying within the National Park. Please follow the links below to the local authority websites.

Stirling Council
Perth & Kinross Council
Argyll & Bute Council
West Dunbartonshire Council
All enquiries relating to enforcement should be made to Planning Services, email

All enquiries relating to the monitoring of approved developments should be sent to:

Nicola Arnott, Development Monitoring Officer
Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park Authority, Planning Services, Carrochan, Carrochan Road, Balloch, G83 8EG.

Postal address: Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park Authority, Planning Services, Carrochan, Carrochan Road, Balloch, G83 8EG.

Alternatively, you can contact our Planning Information Officer on 01389 722024 or email
We are committed to providing an excellent service to our customers and our Enforcement Charter provides details of our enforcement service standards.