Know the Code before you go…
Enjoy Scotland’s outdoors! Everyone has the right to be on most land and inland water for recreation, education and for going from place to place providing they act responsibly. These access rights and responsibilities are explained in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.
The key things are:
When you’re in the outdoors:
- take personal responsibility for your own actions and act safely;
- respect people’s privacy and peace of mind;
- help land managers and others to work safely and effectively;
- care for your environment and take your litter home;
- keep your dog under proper control; and
- take extra care if you’re organising an event or running a business.
If you’re managing the outdoors:
- respect access rights;
- act reasonably when asking people to avoid land management operations;
- work with your local authority and other bodies to help integrate access and land management;
- respect rights of way and customary access.