We introduced Byelaws on Loch Lomond to reduce disturbance to wildlife, local people and visitors, as well as improve safety. Legally, if you are using motorised crafts on Loch Lomond you’ll need to register it with the National Park Authority and display the registration number on your craft.
How to apply
Boat registrations run from 1 February – 31 January each year.
- New registrations – complete our Boat registration form and refer to our explanatory notes.
- Re-registrations – you will receive an annual registration declaration form in the post near the end of the registration period. Check that information about you and your craft is correct.
Return your form by post or in person to: Duncan Mills Memorial Slipway (address top right).
What you’ll need
If you are registering for the first time or re-registering without your renewal form, you’ll need to provide proof of identity, either in person or by post. This can be either a UK passport or driving licence (or other form of photographic ID), supported by a utility bill or credit card statement containing your address and phone number. ID must be originals, not copies.
- Annual Operations Payment (voluntary) – we’ll ask for a voluntary payment of £30 at the time of registration and re-registration. This contributes towards registration number materials, the Loch Lomond Rescue Boat and services on the loch.
- Registration numbers – should you choose not to pay the annual operations payment, £6 (plus £2 postage if registering by post) is required to supply the registration number materials.
- Launch fee – for any craft using National Park Authority launch facilities. The fee has two options, an annual launch fee (£55/craft per year) or a single use (day rate) fee (£15/craft).
Please note: the slipway fees at Duncan Mills Memorial Slipway and Milarrochy Bay apply if you use a vehicle and/or trailer to launch your canoe or kayak.
How to Pay
- In person – pay by credit / debit card or cash. Bring your completed form to Duncan Mills Memorial Slipway (address top right) or Milarrochy Bay (summer season).
- By post – you can pay by postal order payable to Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park, addressed to Duncan Mills Memorial Slipway (see address at top of page).
- By phone – if you have registered by post you can pay by credit/debit card payment over the telephone. Once you have posted your completed form to the Registration Office, we will contact you to arrange payment.
- By e-mail – please scan and e-mail your completed form to: email@example.com, we’ll contact you to arrange payment over the telephone.
Please Note: cheques are not accepted.
What happens next?
When you have registered and paid, you will be issued with two annual marks, two full sets of registration numbers, letters and backing sheets, a copy of the byelaws booklet and a card to assist you in the recognition of buoys marking the navigational hazards of Loch Lomond. If you have opted for the annual launch fee, you will be issued with a unique user identification card which must be shown every time the craft is launched at National Park Authority launch facilities.