Skip to navigation

Listed buildings & conservation areas

If you would like to make small alterations or extensions to your property, planning permission isn’t always required. This is known as ‘permitted development’.

If your property is within a conservation area or if it is a listed building, there are more stringent rules in place. Please refer to our planning guidance on Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas for further information.


Listed Buildings

Listing is the recognition that a building or structure is of special architectural and historic interest. Historic Environment Scotland publishes a leaflet called ‘Scotland’s Listed Buildings 2016’ which explains how buildings are selected for listing and what listing means for owners and occupiers.

Where are Listed Buildings in the National Park?

There are 725 buildings or structures listed in the National Park – ranging from castles to small cottages and piers to aqueducts. To find out if your building is listed, search the Historic Environment Scotland website.

Do I need Listed Building Consent?

Listed Building Consent will be required for any works, both external and internal, which affect the character of your property. Demolition of a listed building will also require listed building consent.

For advice on whether you need Listed Building Consent, contact our Planning Team on 01389 722024 or

How do I apply for Listed Building Consent?

You can apply online at

If your property is a category ‘A’ or ‘B’ listed building we will consult Historic Environment Scotland. Where it is category ‘C’ listed we will consult our internal Built Environment Adviser. We can either approve, approve with conditions, or refuse your application. If it is refused you have the right to an appeal to the Scottish Ministers.

Looking after your listed building

Historic Environment Scotland have produced an extensive series of helpful free guides to help you look after your listed building.

Further guidance on how we expect to protect and enhance the National Park’s Listed Buildings and apply the historic environment policies in the Local Development Plan can be found in our planning guidance on Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas.


Back to menu

Conservation Areas

Since February 2012, householders within conservation areas now require planning permission for any alterations or works affecting the exterior of their property. This includes all extensions, outbuildings, hard surfaces, gates, fences and walls, as well as any improvements, additions or other alterations to the external appearance of a house – including replacement of windows, doors, gutters, drainpipes and re-tiling or re-slating of roofs.  Demolition of buildings in a conservation area requires conservation area consent.

If you’re intending to submit a planning application or you’re not sure if you need to, contact our team for Pre-application Advice. It’s a free service and can be an invaluable part of your planning application process.

Special protection in law is also given to trees in conservation areas because they add value to the setting, character and amenity of these areas as places of special architectural or historic interest.

Where are conservation areas in the National Park?

We have designated some areas of the National Park as conservation areas, to preserve and enhance the sense of place, character and appearance of some of our most valued historic places. Find out if your property lies in a conservation using the area maps below:

Map of area Date Designated
Callander 1981, extensions August 2011 and October 2011
Drymen 1973, extension 2001 and October 2011
Gartmore 1976
Killin 1973, boundary amended 1978, extension 2001, further amendment 2011
Luss 1971, extension 1984
Milton, to west of Aberfoyle 1984
Tyndrum 1978
St Fillans October 2011

Preserving and enhancing conservation areas

We have a set of proposals for the preservation and enhancement of each conservation area, by way of a thorough appraisal of its character and appearance. These appraisals provide a framework for assessing development proposals within conservation areas and are supplementary to the Local Development Plan.

These appraisals have been adopted for conservation areas in:

Draft appraisals have been prepared for Drymen, Gartmore and Luss Conservation Areas.

Please also refer to our planning guidance on Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas for any proposals affecting Conservation areas.

Back to menu
Back to top
Skip to content