Skip to navigation

Planning Enforcement and Monitoring

Enforcement and monitoring functions are integral to the National Park Planning service. If the appropriate permission or consent is not obtained prior to starting work on site, then there may be a breach of planning control. In some cases, the unauthorised works may be an offence.

Failure to secure planning permission can:

  • Undermine the credibility of the planning system,
  • Put property owners at a disadvantage when trying to sell without planning permission,
  • Deny the public an opportunity to express their views, and
  • Disadvantage the development itself as it is not subject to assessment and review by relevant consultees – a process which frequently leads to improvements in the overall quality of the development.

For more information, please see our Enforcement Monitoring advice leaflet.

Report a potential planning breach

If you are aware of possible unauthorised building work or non-compliance with approved plans, please complete our form:

And email the form to

Alternatively, you can phone our Planning Information Line on 01389 722024 and ask to speak to one of our planning officers.

We are required to keep a public register of enforcement notices served and these can be viewed on our Enforcement Register. We are committed to providing an excellent service to our customers and our Enforcement Charter ( reviewed and updated March 2022) provides details of our enforcement service standards.

Development Monitoring

All planning permissions are monitored to ensure compliance with the approved plans and conditions, particularly in the sensitive environment of the National Park. This section provides important information for applicants who have received planning permission.

All enquiries about monitoring should be sent to our Development Monitoring Officer via email:

Discharging of Conditions

It is important to read the Decision Notice in full before work begins. In this document, the Planning Authority might request further information at certain stages of development to grant planning permission. These requests are called ‘conditions’.

These conditions can include:

  • Additional plans
  • Exact details of external finishes
  • Ecological surveys
  • Essential further information

It is the responsibility of the developer to ensure all conditions are met in full. Failure to discharge all conditions may invalidate planning permission.

Notice of Initiation and Completion of Development

Before any works start on site you are required to submit a ‘Notice of Initiation of Development’ to us.

When building works are complete, you must submit a ‘Notice of Completion of Development’.

You will receive a copy of these notices with your Decision Notice. If you require a replacement, you can download blank notices below:


Site Notice – Development in Progress

During construction, all planning applications which fall into the category of national or major, or are defined as ‘bad neighbour’ development, should have a site notice displayed in a prominent location on or near the site.

We have prepared example and blank site notices for your use but you are allowed to prepare your own version so long as it contains the same information:


Variations to planning permission

Once planning permission has been granted, you may want to vary the plans from what has been approved. For example, following any amendments made to the design in the Building Warrant process.

Where these changes are minor and will not significantly change the development proposed, these can be considered as non-material variations under Section 64 of the Town and Country Planning (Scotland) Act 1997 (as amended).

To apply for a Non-Material Variation (NMV):


High Hedges Legislation

As of 1 April 2014 legislation called the High Hedges (Scotland) Act 2013 allows householders to apply to their local authority for a high hedge notice where they:

  1. i) believe the enjoyment of their property is being adversely affected by a neighbour’s hedge by reason of it forming a barrier to light; and
  2. ii) have tried to resolve the problem with their neighbour.

An application must be made to the local authority and not to the National Park Authority, including for high hedges lying within the National Park. Please follow the links below to the local authority websites.

Perth & Kinross Council
Argyll & Bute Council
West Dunbartonshire Council

Useful downloads

Back to top
Skip to content