Tuesday 25th September 10:00 – 16:00 at The Shore, Loch Lomond, Ben Lomond Way, Balloch G83 8QL
The European Championships came to Balloch this summer. Over one billion people across the world watched the sports and saw iconic Loch Lomond as a magnificent backdrop to the Open Water Swimming competitions. To complement the loch-side activity, Balloch held its first local cultural festival for over 30 years and its first ever carnival parade.
How can we capitalise on this experience? This seminar will share tools, tips and know-how of event strategy, development and delivery. It will look at what events and festivals of different scales can bring to an area and the evidence of positive and negative impacts. We’ll also look ahead to 2020 Year of Coast and Waters.
The focus of the morning will be evidence-based from local and national events. In the afternoon we’ll hear about several event and festival success stories from the people who have created and developed them.
- 09:30 Arrivals, registration and refreshments
- 10:00 Welcome and Introduction – Stuart Mearns, Director of Rural Development and Planning, Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park
- 10:15 Learnings from the European Championships 2018 Speaker from Glasgow 2018 – Colin Hartley
- 10:45 Evidence from Festival 2018: Balloch Loch Lomond and Great Scottish Swim – Carol Matthews, Visitor Experience Manager & Charlie Croft, Tourism Adviser, National Park Authority Tourism Team
- 11:30 Morning coffee/teas
- 12:00 Themed Years:
Year of Coast and Waters 2020
Year of Scotland’s Stories 2022
VisitScotland’s new delivery model with a short introduction to the 2020 theme plus ES funding opportunity followed by Q&A – Rhona Corscadden, EventScotland
- 12:30 Speedy workshop, facilitated by the National Park Authority:
Themed years – working together to maximise opportunities and develop the destination.
- 13:00 A quick show-round of The Shore – the new events venue offering space for conferences, weddings and events for up to 200 guests.
- 13:10 – 14:00 Lunch and networking
- 14:00 Tiree Music Festival 10th Anniversary – Daniel Gillespie
- 14:45 Strathard – a fresh approach
- 15:15 Callander – Jazz Fest and Summer Fest – Graham Oliphant
- 15:50 Conclusion and wrap up – further support & contacts – the National Park Authority
- 16:00 Close /departures
Event organised by Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park in association with Love Loch Lomond and supported by the Scottish Enterprise Tourism Development Destination Fund aimed at developing tourism business opportunities and the local economy.
The funding support enables this event to be held at the restricted fee level of just £15:00 inc VAT.