A recipe by Shona Baston from The Wee Blether – Kinlochard
• Whip up egg white till it starts to ribbon
• Pour in sugar one spoon at a time and mix in
• Stop mixing when the peaks begin to hold
• Pipe out or blob onto a covered baking sheet
• Pop into oven at 100 degrees for 5 mins – then turn down to 75 degrees for approx 1½ – 2 hours. Test one to see if they’re cooked, they should be crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside.
I normally do 12 egg whites to 800 grams of sugar that makes 12 double sided meringues for the tearoom.
Fill with masses of freshly whipped cream, fresh berries and a big dollop of homemade Scottish strawberry jam in the middle.