Skip to navigation

Filming in the National Park – Step 1

Thank you for your interest in filming or taking commercial photographs in Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park.

You can browse locations in the National Park that we manage, using the map and list below:

  1. Duncan Mills Memorial Slipway
  2. Tarbet Car Park,  Shoreline and Pier
  3. Inveruglas Car park and viewing point
  4. Rowardennan Visitor Centre
  5. Balmaha Visitor Centre
  6. Milarrochy Bay
  7. Aberfoyle wildlife site
  8. Bracklinn Falls Car Park
  9. Kilmahog Car Park
  10. Glenoglehead Car Park
  11. Falls of Falloch
  12. Aberfoyle cycle route to Rob Roy hotel
  13. North and south Loch Venachar
  14. Inchcailloch
  15. Rob Roy viewpoint car park

Please complete the following application form, giving as much detail as possible about your proposals.  

Apply Now

Alternatively, please send the printed form either by post or e-mail to the following address:

Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Headquarters
Carrochan Road
Balloch G83 8EG
T: 01389 722600

If you have any queries in relation to this application, please do not hesitate to contact Estates on the above contact details.

Filming and photography fees

Any individual or film production company wanting to film or take commercial photographs on land that is managed or owned by the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Authority must seek prior permission from the National Park Authority via the Estates Team on the following contact details:-

Tel: 01389 722600; E-mail:

The fees below are indicative costs are negotiated on an individual basis and can vary depending on the nature of the request, location, crew and cast size, environmental sensitivity and National Park Officer time.  Where the filming will last for significantly less than one full day, the indicative costs may be reduced accordingly.

In cases where the filming is due to take place on land not owned by the National Park Authority, a fee may also be payable to the relevant landowner and should be discussed with the landowner directly.  Where the National Park Authority manages the land in question, our fee may be negotiable as a percentage of that payable to the landowner.

Put simply, when choosing to film in the National Park, you are helping to secure its special qualities for future generations.

Fees per day (exclusive of VAT)

  • Feature film – from £1000
  • TV programme or series – from £1000
  • General news or current affairs item or programme – from £1000
  • News item run in collaboration with the National Park Authority – Free where agreed and arranged in advance
  • Advertisement / Promotional film – from £1000
  • Music video production – from £1000
  • Commercial photo shoot – from £1000
  • National Park staff time – from £50/hour or £250 per day

Please note that any filming which has taken place without prior agreement will be charged at the full daily rate of £1000+VAT


The National Park Authority welcomes the use of its land for filming and commercial photography. We recognise the potential financial and promotional benefits for our communities, provided that the special qualities of the environment and protected landscape are not compromised.  When filming in the National Park, we ask you to ensure that privacy and peace of mind for those living, working or grazing the land is respected at all times.

Initial Enquiry Stage

We do not require an exhaustive proposal, but simply a general idea and indication of what is planned, with suggested dates and times for the filming.

We do recognise that some filming requests will come in with very little advance notice but it is important to give us as much lead time as possible as further environmental consents may be required.  You may also require planning consent from the National Park Authority if your set requires alterations to existing buildings, any temporary structures or your filming period goes beyond the 28 day period for permitted development rights.  We can talk you through any such consents as required.

We have a strong knowledge of the local area and can assist you with location options.  However, if you already know the location you wish to film, and we do not own or manage it, we can help pass on the contact details of the landowner if required.

If the land is owned or managed by the National Park Authority, we may require you to fill in a Filming Application form (depending on the nature of the request).  The signed form should be returned together with proof of insurance cover and Health and Safety Risk Assessments in respect of your proposed activity.

Application Stage

Once an application has been submitted, the location and fee (if appropriate) will then be agreed and you will be required to enter into the Filming Agreement.  A sample Filming Agreement can be found on our website.  In relation to coverage of current news stories with short lead-in time, crews should contact the Communications Team to make the necessary arrangements.

Filming Stage

In some cases, we will assign a member of staff to your production for part or all of the activity.  This is to monitor the film crew’s activity, oversee any environmental issues, manage public access to rights of way and access land, inform other visitors about the special use activity, and provide essential resource protection and health and safety information.  The National Park Authority is required to recover all costs associated with providing for a staff member on location.

Back to top
Skip to content